Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tracking the Oil from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

This project has taught me how to demonstrate progression of a particular subject, in this case, the spreading oil from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.

1. I gathered data from available sources (fortunately the data was provided for this project).

2. I verified the coordinate system of the template data as well as each feature to be inserted (before inserting it). In this case, the template data was in GCS_North_American_1983, while the oil data was NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_16N.

3. Since the coordinate systems were different, I chose to re-project the oil data to match the existing template data, so I projected the oil data to GCS_North_American_1983. It seemed to work nicely.

4. I added the oil data and created a group layer.

5. Using the animation toolbar in ArcMap, I created an avi file and posted it here: http://students.uwf.edu/jrc46/animation_Ciavola.avi

No comments:

Post a Comment